I'm going to keep this one short today, because I am just a few hours away from heading up to my best friends cottage, and I am PUMPED! Water sports, sun rays, food, drink and good people. It's one of my favourite annual events of the summer. We've been working harder and longer than ever these past few months, and for once I actually feel like I deserve the vacation. So, here's how you make Strawberry Cream Dreams!
This is one of my favourite recipes I have ever created. A soft, pastry-like, strawberry cookie, topped with vanilla bean butter frosting and garnished with a slice of strawberry. I have made them many times, and they are always a hit. Even people who fear paleo will still appreciate these treats. Heck, my 90 year old grandma who is heavily resistant to any type of new change loves these. Let's get started!
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 15 min
2 cups fresh organic strawberries
1 cup coconut flour
4 free-range eggs
1/2 cup raw local honey
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup organic coconut oil
1 tspn vanilla bean powder (or 1 tbsp vanilla extract)
1 tbsp coconut milk (from a BPA free can)
dash of sea salt
VANILLA BEAN BUTTER FROSTING:
*Find ingredients and process in this recipe HERE
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Dice strawberries into small chunks until you have 1 cup chopped. Spread the chopped berries onto a plate lined with wax paper and place in the freezer. Slice a few of the larger berries into circular discs to save for the topping at the end.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, honey, coconut milk, and vanilla with a hand mixer. Add a small dash of sea salt.
4. Melt coconut oil over stove, add to mixture, and combine well.
5. Add coconut flour to mixture, and continue to use hand mixer until evenly combined.
6. Mix shredded coconut into batter using your hands. Really grind it in there!
7. Remove chopped strawberries from freezer and fold into batter using spatula (or your hands if you prefer).
8. Shape batter into cookies using your hands and place on Stonewear Bar Pan or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. When they are finished baking, allow to cool completely and place in the fridge. *Note: Baking your cookies on Stonewear will create a softer, more favourable version of this recipe.
9. Once cookies are chilled, spread a thick layer of vanilla bean butter frosting on top.
10. Gently press a circular slice of strawberry into each cookie. Now they are ready to EAT! Share with friends and family to show how talented you are in the kitchen. Store left-overs in the fridge.