In celebration of the launch of our new blog, we wanted to share an incredibly delicious recipe with you. Introducing: Bacon Bars - the perfect combination of savory, sweet, and decadent bliss! A soft cookie loaded with bacon and chocolate, topped with a vanilla bean butter frosting, and decorated with home-candied bacon. These bars were a huge success at the Tactical Strength Challenge last month at the StrengthBox. A little too successful to be honest, once everybody got a glance at our treats, we were bombarded by a bulging hoard of bacon hungry power lifters. Good thing we always make a double batch!
We hope you will enjoy making this recipe as much as we did creating it (and eating it!). Thanks for celebrating with us, send us any feedback you have!
- Jon & Barbara
Yield: 12 bars
Total prep time (frosting included): 35 min
Cook time: 15 min
3/4 cup Camino dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup organic/grass fed butter (or organic coconut oil)
1 cup organic coconut flour
4 free range eggs
1/3 cup local maple syrup or raw honey
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
¾-1 tsp Organic Traditions ground vanilla bean powder (or 1 tbsp organic vanilla extract)
6 slices *home-candied bacon
6 slices for cookies + 4 slices for sprinkles = 10 slices traditionally raised bacon
1 tbsp coconut sap sweetener, granulated
2 tbsp local maple syrup
VANILLA BEAN BUTTER FROSTING:
Note: this makes extra so enjoy! Otherwise, it can be hard to mix. We normally make a double recipe or eat the remainder by the spoonful.
1 cup organic/grass-fed unsalted butter
2 tsp Organics ground vanilla bean powder (or 3 tbsp organic vanilla extract)
3 tbsp raw honey
COOK YOUR CANDIED BACON:
1. Place bacon strips in a large pan and cook at med-high heat on the stove.
2. When bacon is half cooked, drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with coconut sap sweetener.
3. Continue to flip and stir bacon until cooked thoroughly, slightly crispy but not burnt.
4. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
5. Once cooled, separate your bacon (6 & 4) and chop finely. - We like to rip it up with our hands!
6. Put the bacon bits for the sprinkles aside for later.
BAKE YOUR BARS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla.
3. Once mixed, mix in coconut flour.
4. Melt butter over low heat and mix into batter.
5. Stir in shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
6. Fold in candied bacon bits. – Remember to save the appropriate amount listed above for sprinkles!
7. Shape cookies into square bars using your hands, and place on Stoneware bar pan or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
8. Bake for 15 min.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely! (They should go in the fridge before topping otherwise the icing will melt!)
NOW FROST YOUR BARS!
1. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine butter, vanilla and honey using a hand mixer.
2. Continue mixing thoroughly until ingredients become a fluffy frosting –It’s so fluffy I could die!
3. Once cookies are cool, spread on a thick layer of vanilla bean butter frosting.
4. Top with candied bacon sprinkles (slightly press them into the frosting so they stick!)
5. ENJOY! –Store extras (if there are any) in the fridge.