Hello all! It's the first official snowy winter morning here in Toronto. We are spending the day cuddled in front of the fire with the pup, with some good food, and several seasons of Game of Thrones. ... To be honest, this has pretty much been representative of our week - we are both recovering from a bad cold, and in addition to that I got some forced rest from work thanks to a grade 2 sprained ankle. (Keep your eyes open for a post regarding acute injury rehabilitation that I will be writing in a few weeks). The way we look at it is - it's a blessing to have a break when one presents itself, just as it is a blessing to be busy with life and clients at other times. We take it as it comes.
Seeing as we have been sniffly this week, this recipe has come in very handy - we've made it nearly 5 or 6 times. It is a warming, healing dish that will leave your home smelling like the holidays and your body energized. Whether you are recovering from a cold, wanting to boost your immune system, or just enjoy good food, this pudding is perfect for you. It requires very little prep time, and then you can simply leave it in the oven while it fills the house with tantalizing aromas.
Enjoy and stay healthy!
TIME: Prep 15 min, Bake 1 hr
YIELD: serves 4
3 lbs organic local apples (approx 8-10)
1/2 cup fresh cranberries (do not use frozen berries as this will make the dish too watery)
1/3 cup grass fed butter melted
1 tbsp coconut oil melted
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp raw local honey
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground vanilla bean
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. PEEL and cube all apples (peeling is important as it will give it the pudding texture.)
3. Place apples in a bowl, pour in lemon juice and mix.
4. Add cinnamon and vanilla and mix. Add cranberries to apples.
5. Melt butter and coconut oil. Transfer apples to a glass pyrex pan and then pour the melted butter and coconut oil over them. Mix a bit.
6. Pour honey over top of apples.
7. Place in the oven. Bake for 15 min, then mix apples so the sauces from the bottom fully coat the top layer of apples. Continue to bake for another 45 min.
8. Remove and serve.